A key part of development is to test your product and try out actual device conditions (situations that may be difficult to create in real life), but we've got you covered. This self-contained application (available from the Chrome Web Store) creates virtual devices that simulate conditions that otherwise would be expensive and time-consuming to replicate.
- Allows creation, deletion, and manipulation of virtual Nest devices
- Immediately reconnects and syncs data when your computer wakes up from sleep mode
- Provides access to a control panel that can simulate most device settings
- Set where name, locale, temperature scale, software version, label
- Set current temperature, target temperature, humidity
- Can heat/cool, is heating/cooling
- Enable HVAC modes (heat-cool, heat, cool, off, or eco)
- Set HVAC state (system is actively heating, cooling, or off)
- Has fan/enable fan
- Enable Leaf (energy savings)
- Set Time To Target
- Eco Temperatures
Smoke + CO alarm settings
- Set where name, label, locale, software version
- Trigger a Smoke + CO alarm low-battery event
- Set Smoke + CO power source type (battery or wired)
- Trigger smoke or CO detection, or simulate when smoke/CO is clearing
- Trigger a manual smoke and CO test, set duration, and check the timestamp for the last successful manual test
- Set where name, label, software version
- Enable video history, audio input
- Set online state, streaming state, public share state
- Generate sound, motion, or sound and motion events; set start and end time for events
- Activity Zones
- Select which Activity Zones will detect motion events
- Add or delete Activity Zones
- Requires Nest Aware
- Change the Home/Away state of the structure
- Create custom where names
- Set postal/zip code and country code
- Set up a Rush Hour Rewards event
- Set an ETA event
Home Simulator and physical devices
This Home Simulator is intended to be used with virtual devices for testing purposes. We strongly suggest that you create a separate account for testing and add virtual devices to it via the Home Simulator.
To exit read-only mode, delete all physical devices from the account, or sign in with a different account that only has virtual devices.
Data rate limits
For testing purposes, we set a very high tolerance for Data Rate Limits in virtual devices, so your product is not likely to encounter these kinds of error conditions.
Install the Chrome app
- Visit the Chrome Web Store
- Select the [Add to Chrome] button
To run this app next time, open the Chrome App Launcher and select the Nest Home Simulator icon.
Use with home.nest.com
To see changes you make in the Home Simulator, visit https://home.nest.com and sign in with the same account.
If you don't see your virtual devices on the home page, you may need to turn Spaces off:
- Select the Structure Settings icon in the upper-right corner
- Select the Spaces option
- Switch Spaces OFF
Your virtual home and devices can also be viewed through the Nest app.
Controls in the Home Simulator
Check out the controls you can access:
Add a device
To add your desired device, select the [ADD THERMOSTAT], [ADD PROTECT], or [ADD CAMERA] button. You can add multiple devices, up to the maximum per structure.
For more info, see Managing Multiple Nest Learning Thermostats.
Add a structure
To add a structure, select the [ADD STRUCTURE] button. You can add multiple structures, up to the maximum per account.
- If the app isn't behaving as expected, check that you're using the latest version of the app, in the latest version of the browser.
- This app is intended for use only with virtual devices. If you attempt to sign in with an account that is associated with a physical device, you'll get an error message: "Home Simulator is locked (read-only) We found a physical device connected to this account. To unlock the Home Simulator, delete the physical device."
- If you attempt to delete the last (only) structure, you'll get an error message: "Account must have at least one structure"