Each structure in a Nest account has a single "owner." It is possible for a family account to have different owners for different structures. Owners have full control of all devices, settings, subscriptions, and Works with Nest connections in the structure.
Owners can invite other people to share control of the Nest products in their home. Each person with access has a separate Nest account, and can control Nest devices in the owner's home. They can do almost everything that the owner can.
Owners and people with access can use and interact with your Works with Nest product, but their experience differs:
- Owners and people with shared access can set up, remove, configure, and control Nest products through the Nest app
- Only owners can set up or remove Works with Nest products for the structures they own
- People with shared access can use Works with Nest products connected to the owner's structure, if the owner first sets up the Works with Nest connection on their device
- If a person with shared access attempts to set up a Works with Nest
connection to the Nest owner's home, they won't be able to control devices
through your app or service
- In this case, user authorization may seem to work, but the person with shared access won't get device control through that Works with Nest connection (the Works with Nest product will not function as expected)
Learn more about what Owners and people with access can do.